- Schools for Nursing (until 31.12.2023 training in qualified nursing care, after this date training in assistant nursing only).
- Age of entry: upon completion of ten years of general education.
- Three-year course.
- Once completed, the course confers the right to practice a profession in qualified nursing care (nursing in general care).
- Education and training in qualified nursing care is also (and from 1.1.2024 ONLY) provided in the context of a Bachelor's degree at a University of Applied Sciences.
Schools for Nursing include:
- Schools for Nursing (phasing out / changes as stated above).
In addition to having successfully completed 10 years of general education, being in suitable health and being sufficiently trustworthy, individuals seeking admission to a programme at a School for Nursing are also required to complete an admission interview or admission test. The final decision regarding whether to admit an applicant will be taken by an Admission Board.
Schools for Nursing have been set up within, or in association with hospitals. These provide vocational education and training and will lead to the right to practise the profession of Qualified General Nurse. The education and training lasts three years and is concluded by completing a written thesis on a relevant topic and by sitting a Diploma examination. Training in qualified nursing care is also (and from 1.1.2024 ONLY) provided in the context of a Bachelor's degree at a University of Applied Sciences (Completion: Bachelor's degree examination).
Further information regarding the contents of individual education and training programmes, the professions involved and the range of activities undertaken, about how to exercise one of the professions involved and any additional qualifications available can be found in the brochure entitled "Gesundheitsberufe in Österreich" (Healthcare Professions in Austria), which is published by the Federal Ministry of Social Affairs, Health, Care and Consumer Protection.
The next step:
The following are examples of the opportunities available to those who have successfully completed their education and training at a School for Nursing:
- Immediate employment in a specialist area
- Taking the Higher Education Entrance Examination, in order to gain access to any type of higher education
- Taking the Limited Higher Education Entrance Examination, in order to gain access to individual courses of study in higher education, within one's own specialist area
- Taking additional qualifications: Special training programmes, such as those that will confer the ability to undertake teaching and leadership roles or training in children or youth care, psychiatric health and nursing care, or in intensive care; university courses; the study of Healthcare Sciences after obtaining the Higher Education Entrance Examination; training within an upper grade of a medically-related position or training in midwifery
Source (in German)
Federal Ministry of Social Affairs, Health, Care and Consumer Protection - Healthcare Professions in Austria
Healthcare Professions in Austria 2020 (in German)