- Four-year upper level.
- Reifeprüfung examination (“Matura”) taken upon completion.
- Entitlement to study at University Colleges of Teacher Education, Universities of Applied Sciences, Universities or Academies as well as to attend higher occupationally-oriented Continuing Education Courses and Post-secondary VET Courses.
- The types of institution available are the Classical Academic Secondary School (Gymnasium), the Academic Secondary School emphasizing Mathematics and Science (Realgymnasium) and the Academic Secondary School emphasizing Economics (wirtschaftskundliches Realgymnasium).
The upper level of the Academic Secondary School (AHS) comprises a four-year education and pupils take the Reifeprüfung examination (“Matura”). In certain cases the upper level can take five years.
Since the school year of 2014/15 a standardised skills oriented final examination takes place. The certificate awarded on successful completion of the Reifeprüfung examination entitles the holder to undertake a course of study at a University, University of Applied Sciences, a University College of Teacher Education or an Academy.
A requirement for entry into the fifth year is the successful completion of the fourth year at an Academic Secondary School.
Transition from the Middle School, following successful completion of the fourth year, to the fifth year of the Academic Secondary School or the first year of the Upper Level Academic Secondary School emphasizing Mathematics and Science (ORG) is possible and if the pupil was in the top stream in the fourth year in German, Mathematics and a Modern Foreign Language and achieved a positive grade, or was in the second stream and received a grade of "Good" or higher and if he/she obtained a grade of "Satisfactory" or higher in all other compulsory subjects, or if he/she received the annotation "with outstanding success" on his/her leaving report.
A "Satisfactory" grade in the second stream will not stand in the way of admission, on condition that the conference of class teachers establishes on the basis of his/her other achievements that the pupil will probably be capable of coping with the requirements of the Upper Level Academic Secondary School (AHS-Oberstufe). In subjects, in which these requirements have not been met, it will be possible to take an entrance examination.
The types of Upper Level Academic Secondary Schools (Years 5 to 8) include:
- the Classical Academic Secondary School (Gymnasium), Academic Secondary School emphasizing Mathematics and Science (Realgymnasium) and the Academic Secondary School emphasizing Economics (wirtschaftskundliches Realgymnasium).
- the Upper Level Academic Secondary School emphasizing Mathematics and Science (Oberstufenrealgymnasium).
For all: From Year 6 onwards, pupils are required to select optional subjects for a total of six hours per week (Classical Academic Secondary School, Upper Secondary Academic School), eight hours per week (Realgymnasium) or ten hours per week (Academic Secondary School emphasizing Economics). The total number of hours devoted to optional subjects may however vary from school to school (from a minimum of four hours to a maximum of ten hours).
Within a given framework and in both the upper and lower levels, each school has the ability to align the range of subject areas taught to the specific situation that exists in its own establishment (autonomy of schools). It is also permitted to issue its own syllabi.
Since the school year of 2017/18 - starting with Year 6 - a semester-wise breakdown of all forms of upper level Academic Secondary Schools was launched for the individualisation of educational paths with individual learning support and special talent promotion.
- Academic Secondary School specialising in Music and Sport, requiring a suitability test.
- Supplementary secondary school (Aufbaugymnasium) and supplementary scientific secondary school (Aufbaurealgymnasium)
- Classical Academic Secondary School (Gymnasium), Academic Secondary School emphasizing Mathematics and Science (Realgymnasium) and Academic Secondary School emphasizing Economics (wirtschaftskundliches Realgymnasium) for people in employment
- Academic Secondary School for Linguistic Minorities (Slovene, Croatian, Hungarian)
- Trade and Boarding School (Werkschulheim)
- Academic Secondary School with enhanced Foreign Languages provision (for further information, please contact the Regional Education Board).
Information regarding other special forms of education being operated on an experimental basis (e.g. schools specialising in Information Technology, Science, Competitive Sport etc.) and Academic Secondary Schools with boarding facilities (public and private) can be obtained from the Regional Education Board.
The next step:
These are some of the opportunities that are available to young people after completing the Upper Level of the Academic Secondary School:
- Undertaking a course of study at a University, Academy, University of Applied Sciences, University of Teacher Education or another type of higher education institution
- Attending a Post-secondary VET Course (a special, shorter form of Upper Level Secondary Technical and Vocational School) or a higher occupationally-oriented Continuing Education Course
- Training for a training profession (shortened apprenticeship will be possible)
- Entering employment and obtaining the necessary professional qualifications in the workplace or by following Continuing Education courses.