- Duration of training: 3-4 years.
- Continuing Education opportunities for Adults.
- Provided at times of the day that are suitable for adults.
- Leaving qualification including Reifeprüfung and Diploma examination General.
Individuals who have already entered the labour market or have completed a course of technical or vocational education, have the opportunity to obtain appropriate educational qualifications by attending courses that take place during the evening. The majority of these courses are provided by Colleges for Higher Vocational Education (BHS) and Schools for Social Professions that offer special vocational programmes for adults. It should also be mentioned that the technical, trade or art and design Colleges for Early Childhood Pedagogy (Bildungsanstalten für Elementarpädagogik) and Colleges of Social Pedagogics (Bildungsanstalten für Sozialpädagogik) also offer courses for adults, in the form of programmes and VET Schools for Adults. These are, however, distinct from the VET Schools for Adults and are treated separately.
The most important VET Schools for Adults:
- Upper Level Technical and Trade Institute
- Upper Level Institute of Fashion
- Upper Level Institute of Art and Design
- Upper Level Institute of Tourism
- Commercial Academy
- Upper Level Institute for Commercial Professions
- Upper Level Institute of Agriculture and Forestry
- Training Institution for Early Childhood Education
- Training Institution for Social Education
- Schools for Social Care Professions
The requirements in order to attend an Upper Level Institution for Adults are a vocational education or professional experience and a minimum age of 17 years. At the end of the training, a Reifeprüfung and Diploma examination are taken, thereby providing access to post-secondary and tertiary educational institutions.
In order to be admitted to the Schools for Social Care Professions, it is necessary to have the leaving qualification from an Upper Level or Medium Level School or to have completed vocational training, after successfully completing the ninth year of education and to have reached 19 years of age. In addition, the applicant's medical health and his/her trustworthiness will be assessed and an admission interview or admission test will be required.
The next step:
The following opportunities are examples of those available to people who successfully complete their education at a VET School for Adults:
- Immediate employment in a specialist area
- Undertaking a course of study at a University, University of Applied Sciences, University of Teacher Education or another type of higher education institution
- Apprenticeship Examination (successful completion of a VET School for Adults will replace, or reduce the duration of, an apprenticeship in a related profession).
- Undertaking a Post-secondary VET Course in a different specialist area
- After practising a relevant profession: self-employment in a regulated profession (if necessary, after completing a qualifying examination)
- Self-employment in an unregulated trade
Sources (in German)
Adult Education - VET Schools for Adults
Federal Ministry of Education, Science and Research - VET Schools for Adults
abc Technical and Vocational Schools - VET Schools for Adults