UNIVERSITY OF APPLIED SCIENCES
- Duration of training for Bachelor's programmes: 3 years (6 semesters), Master's degree programmes 2 years (4 semesters)
- Scientifically-based vocational education and training
- Strong occupational orientation
- A practical training semester as part of the study programme
- Degree study programme (discontinued)
Universities of Applied Sciences (Fachhochschulen) provide scientifically-based vocational education and training with strong occupational orientation (the study programme includes one practical training semester).
The following types of study programmes are currently offered:
- Bachelor's degree programmes
last six semesters (three years) and conclude with the academic degree "Bachelor“.
In certain subjects, predominantly in the field of social work and healthcare, those who successfully complete the programme are also authorised to practice in the corresponding profession (e.g. social worker, physiotherapist).
- Master's degree programmes
build on Bachelor's programmes and primarily serve to scientifically complement these, generally last four semesters (two years) and lead to the award of a Master’s degree.
- Expired: Degree programmes
lasted 8 semesters and concluded with a Magister’s degree („Magister/Magistra (FH)“) or "Graduate Degree in Engineering" („Diplom-Ingenieur/in (FH)“). Degree programmes have been replaced with Bachelor's degree programmes and Master's degree programmes that build on those Bachelor's studies.
At the moment, University of Applied Sciences study programmes are available in the following sectors in Austria: Design – Art, Engineering, Social Sciences, Economics, Military/Security Studies, Natural Sciences and Health Sciences. University of Applied Sciences study programmes may also be followed by individuals who have not completed a general university entrance examination, but have professional qualifications of relevance to the course (additional examinations are mostly required).
The next step:
The following options, amongst others, are available to leavers after completing a programme at a University of Applied Sciences:
- immediate employment in the relevant specialist area
- following successful completion of a Bachelor's degree programme: Master's degree programme at a University of Applied Sciences or university
- following successful completion of a Master's degree programme: doctoral studies at a university
- attendance at university courses for continuing and higher level qualifications
- self-employment in regulated (if necessary, with proof of practical experience and after completing a qualifying examination) and non-regulated industries or non-regulated professions
Federal Ministry of Education, Science and Research
Further information can be found on the internet
FHguide – Universities of Applied Sciences: The full range of programmes available
At www.studienwahl.at/en you can find an overview of all degree courses at all Austrian institutions of Higher Education.